Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Media Meditation #7: Technology



Today I was surfing the Internet when I came across this picture provided in the right. I looked at it for a while and then realized that with the technology today you can access information anytime anywhere.
This obviously is not the first time I noticed it but it certainly made me think about how many hours of my day I am on my cell phone, computer, listen to the radio or watch TV, because it certainly takes up a lot of of my time.

It is funny to think about that even my parents generation did not grow up with nearly as advanced technology as I did. I am used to going everywhere with my Blackberry ( I can access the internet, record videos, send pictures or send Blackberry messages to other users) and have to admit that I do not like being without it. I feel connected and like being in touch with people which a view years ago seemed to be impossible. People did not have cell phones that they could use whenever they wanted. They had to send out letters that took days, weeks or even months to be delivered and were perfectly fine with it because they did not know anything else.

I find it fascinating how the way you grow up affects your life because my parents often seem annoyed when I come home and am constantly texting on my cell phone because they do not understand why I have to talk to my friends 24/7 about pointless stuff. I can understand where they are coming from because in their generation they might not have had cell phones or own computers at a young age. Also I sometimes text in class ( sorry Professor Williams) and while I can still pay attention to what is going on my teacher might think it is rude.

Technology has lead people to multitask a lot more than we used to and I am not sure if that is a good thing or not.

On the other hand technology has given great opportunities that still grow from day to day.


This video shows how technology has changed the world and will continue to change it. I find it fascinating that I am living in a time with so many opportunities and things to explore. In fact I am using the Internet right now from my portable laptop, sitting on my couch ( I could even be sitting on the toilet or use my cell phone) to express my feelings about technology through a blog that will then be published on the Internet and that millions of people can access all over the world. SO COOL.

The media has great potential to grow even more with the use of technology and curious individuals that want to be connected. I mean even my grandma has a cell phone now :)

1 comment:

  1. Your grandma has a cell phone?

    What a high-tech hipster! Ha.

    An EXCELLENT post here - as a "Yakberry" user myself, I deeply appreciate the ability to stay connected whether at the farm, on campus, or wherever.

    Bravo,

    W

    ReplyDelete